15 calle 1-04 zona 10, Edificio Céntrica Plaza, Torre 1, Oficina 402 Guatemala, Guatemala
Is a lawyer and notary who has been practicing law for over thirty years in the areas of civil, commercial, banking and procedural law, especially in matters of litigation. He has extensive experience in the area of civil and commercial litigation.
Among his multiple professional activities, the following can be mentioned:
– From 1982 to May 2008, he has been continuously practicing law, especially in the area of civil procedural law, providing corporate advice to several commercial and pharmaceutical companies.
– External legal advisor to the pharmaceutical company “Laboratorio Farmacéutico Squibb, Sociedad Anónima” for eight years;
– External legal counsel to the pharmaceutical company “Merck Centroamericana, Sociedad Anónima”.
– External legal advisor to the entity “Bristol Mayers Squibb, Sociedad Anónima”.
– Legal advisor and member of the board of directors of the oil company “The Fifth Company, Joint Stock Company”.
– External lawyer and legal advisor to the Board of Directors of the First Savings and Loan Bank for Family Housing, a joint-stock company”;
– Legal advisor to coffee exporting companies (Producers of Origin Coffee, Sociedad Anónima; Exportadora Verapaz, Sociedad Anónima; Agropecuaria San Elías, Sociedad Anónima”);
– Litigation lawyer in the area of civil and commercial law for over thirty years.
– Advisor and executor in the legal and administrative formation of “Primer Banco De Ahorro Y Préstamo Para La Vivienda Familiar, Sociedad Anónima”
– Legal advisor to the Board of Directors of “Primer Banco De Ahorro Y Préstamo Para La Vivienda Familiar, Sociedad Anónima”
– Member of the Board of Directors of “FUNDACIÓN CONSTRUNATURA”;
– President of the Board of Directors of “Corporación Creativa De Negocios, Sociedad Anónima”;
– General Secretary of the General Property Registry of the Central Zone;
– Invited member of the National Registry Commission;
– Member of the Registration Criteria Commission Of The General Property Registry Of The Central Zone.
– Vocal Magistrate VI of the Supreme Court of Justice for the period 2009-2014.
– President of the Civil Chamber of the Supreme Court of Justice (2011-2012).
– Coordinator of the commission of jurists for the elaboration of the project of initiative of the new civil and commercial procedural code.
At the international level, he has had the following professional participations
– Participation in the Legal Congress of UNIAPRAVI held in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia in the year nineteen ninety-six on “Securitization of Mortgage Portfolios”, “Mortgage bonds” and Essay on a regulatory framework for credit and mortgage guarantees.
– Seminar on housing, Central American Housing Association -ACENVI-, El Salvador, November 1998.
– Invitation to the third anniversary of the promulgation of the Code of Contentious Administrative Procedure of Costa Rica in 2010.
– Participation in the Congress of Judicial Ethics promoted by the Ibero-American Institute of Judicial Ethics
– Invited by the Spanish Council of Justice of the autonomous province of Galicia (A Coruña, Santiago de Compostela, Madrid) to observe the application of the Civil Procedure Law in the management system of the Judicial Office through oral hearings.
He has carried out the following academic activities:
– Holds tenure of the course PRACTICAL CIVIL PROCEDURAL LAW I at the Faculty of Law of Francisco Marroquín University (2000-2014);
– TITULAR CATHEDRATIC of the course CIVIL LAW IV (OBLIGATIONS II), at the Faculty of Law of Universidad Francisco Marroquín (2003-2009);
– TITULAR CATHEDRACTOR of the course CIVIL LAW III (OBLIGATIONS I, at the Faculty of Law of Universidad Francisco Marroquín (2003-2009).
– Advisor and reviewer of undergraduate thesis at the law school of Francisco Marroquín University.
Some of his publications include:
– Legal effects produced by the erroneous interpretation of articles 156, 157 and 158 of the Guatemalan Commercial Code on absolutely null and void social acts and agreements.
– Prospectiva estratégica de Guatemala, as a member of the United Nations Security Council;
– Political ideologies in the general context and their manifestations in Guatemala. Ideologies and actors.
– Analysis of the tax culture. An approach to “Tax Morality” and its impact on the financing of the State of Defense and Security.
– Water imbalance in Guatemala due to climate change. The case of the Dry Corridor.
He studied his undergraduate degree at the University of San Carlos de Guatemala, and in 1982 he obtained the titles of Lawyer and Notary, with a degree in Legal and Social Sciences.
In 2013 he completed his Master’s Degree in Commercial Law and Competitiveness at the School of Graduate Studies of the Faculty of Legal and Social Sciences of the Universidad Autónoma de San Carlos de Guatemala.
In 2013, he completed his Master’s Degree in High Strategic Studies with a specialty in Security and Defense, at the School of Administration Sciences of the Universidad Mariano Gálvez de Guatemala.
Doctor in Theology and Pastoral Ministry. Graduated from California Christian University.
In 2010 he finished his Postgraduate studies in CIVIL CASATION, at the Faculty of Law and Justice of the University San Pablo of Guatemala.
He studied Public Accounting and Auditing at Universidad Rafael Landívar and Economics and Finance at the Escuela Superior de Economía y Administración de Empresas of Universidad Francisco Marroquín (ESEADE).
DOCTORATE IN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW by the School of Graduate Studies of the Faculty of Legal and Social Sciences of the University of San Carlos de Guatemala.
He has received the following distinctions:
– Awarded by the institutional training unit of the judicial body of the school of judicial studies, for participation in the presentation of the subject “Evidence and Resources”.
– Awarded by the Faculty of Legal and Social Sciences of the University of San Carlos for the academic contribution to the benefit of students from that university.
– Awarded by the General Registry of the Republic for his professional work as General Secretary of the institution during the period from May 2008 to October 2009.
He has been a speaker at various national and international conferences, among which we can highlight:
– Conference on “Evidence and Resources” within the training program promoted by the Institutional Training Unit of the Judicial Branch of the School of Judicial Studies, given at the Francisco Marroquín University.
– Lecturer invited by the Faculty of Legal and Social Sciences of the University of San Carlos on the subject of Civil Cassation.
– Guest speaker at the permanent updating program for judges and magistrates of the Supreme Court of Justice.
– Guest lecturer at the Francisco Marroquín University School of Law on “CIVIL RESPONSIBILITY IN MEDICAL PRACTICE”.
– Guest lecturer by the Faculty of Law and Justice of the University of San Pablo de Guatemala in the postgraduate course “Civil Cassation”.
He is a member of and participates in various social and professional organizations, among which are
Advisor and collaborator of the “NATIONAL LEAGUE AGAINST CANCER”.
Member of the Board of Trustees, advisor and collaborator of the “Fundación Familias de Esperanza”.