No.166, avenida 46, entre calle 121 y 125, Pinares, Curridabat San José, Costa Rica, Centroamérica
Managing Partner of the firm in Costa Rica. He is a lawyer and notary public, graduated since 1990, with wide experience in the areas of Commercial Law, International Contracts, Arbitration and Financial Law.
He specializes in Commercial Law with emphasis on:
– Advising on Securities Law with emphasis on training of financial sectors, private companies and governments
– Advice on asset securitisation processes in the public and private sector
– Specialist in commercial law with emphasis on corporate, corporate contracting and negotiation and corporate group planning.
– Specialized advice on regulations and rules resulting from the signing of free trade agreements between Costa Rica and different countries in the world.
– Advisor in real estate operations, especially in real estate and tourism developments.
– Advisor in commercial and civil litigation at a national and international judicial level and in arbitration.
– Arbitrator appointed in law and equity arbitrations at the most renowned Conciliation and Arbitration Centers in Costa Rica.
He studied at the Collegio Academicum of the Universidad Autónoma de Centro América where he obtained his degree as a Lawyer and Notary Public in 1990. Later in 1993 he completed his studies at the University of Costa Rica where he obtained a Specialization in Commercial Law and in 2008 he obtained an LLM in International Trade Law from the University of Arizona. He is currently studying for a Doctorate in Commercial Law at the Universidad Escuela Libre de Derecho in Costa Rica.
At the international level he has had the following professional participations:
– Co-writer of the Law of Secured Transactions in Honduras (2006), Costa Rica (2012-2013) and the Dominican Republic (2014-2015)
– International Consultant on the subject of Security Interests of the Organization of American States (OAS), 2013 to date
– OTA International Consultant in the Dominican Republic
– International panelist and member of the organizing team of the Pacific Rim Colloquium, Santiago de Chile, 2013
– International panelist at the International Seminar on Secured Transactions Reform and its Impact on Access to Credit in Peru. Lima, November 2014
– Panelist Second Pacific Rim Colloqium on Economic Development in Harmonization of Commercial Law. Shanghai, China February 2015
In the teaching area, he has carried out the following academic activities:
– Professor at the University of Costa Rica, Commercial Law III (Securities). 1996 – 2005
– Professor at the University Escuela Libre de Derecho in the Commercial Law I (Corporate Law) Chair. 2001 – 2005.
– Director of Undergraduate Thesis, Final Graduation Works, University of Costa Rica and Universidad Libre de Derecho. 2001-2005.
– Professor of Securities at Universidad Libre de Derecho. 2008 – 2013
Among his many professional activities are the following:
Other positions previously held:
– Research Attorney at the National Law Center For Inter-American Free Trade (Tucson, Arizona) in the area of Asset Securitization, 2006-2008.
– Founding partner and Notary Public of Montejo y Picado Law Firm. 1993 – 1999.
– Panelist at the International Symposium on the new Law of Movable Guarantees. August 2014, Costa Rica.
– Certified Conciliator and Mediator of the Universidad Libre de Derecho, 2002
– Member of the Board of Directors of the Bar Association, 1997
He speaks Spanish and English fluently.