Reparto San Juan IV Etapa, Avenida Suroeste No. 169, Managua, Nicaragua
Silvio Iván specializes in the area of Tax Law, with emphasis on tax advice and administrative proceedings and litigation. He is a senior external associate of the firm , and has more than 40 years of experience as an attorney specializing in the areas of tax law, with emphasis on administrative processes and litigation in tax matters.
He is an Attorney and Notary Public and Authorized Public Accountant of the Republic of Nicaragua. He studied a Master’s Degree in Tax Law at CEF, Spain (not completed) and obtained a Master’s Degree in Public Law from the Nicaraguan Institute of Judicial Studies (INEJ) in Managua, Nicaragua. He has postgraduate studies in Tax Policy and Administration from the Inter-American School of Public Administration of the Getúlio Vasgar Foundation in Brazil and in Business Management and Administration from the Central American University (UCA) and the Escuela Superior de Administración y Dirección de Empresas de Barcelona (ESADE). He also has a postgraduate degree in Tax Institutions and Techniques from the School of Public Finance of the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Finance. He is fluent in Spanish, English and Portuguese.
His professional activities in the public and private sectors include
– Compiler of agricultural statistics of the Ministry of Agriculture (1970-1971);
– Auditor of the General Revenue Office (1972-1975);
– Head of the Audit of Indirect Taxes of the General Revenue Directorate (1975-1976);
– Auditor of the Court of Audit (1976-1978);
– Head of the Income Tax Division of the Directorate-General for Revenue (1978-1980);
– Adviser to the Minister of Finance (1990-1996);
– Assistant Director-General of Revenue (1995);
– Correspondent of the Inter-American Center of Tax Administrators (CIAT) (1996);
– Consultant in taxation (1980-1990);
– Accounting Supervisor of the Chevron oil company (1990);
– Tax Manager at Procewaterhouse Coopers (1997-2007)
– Independent Tax Consultant and Senior External Associate of Signature Regional Law Firm (2007-present).
At the national and international level, he has had the following professional participations:
– Participated in the Simplification of Tax Audit Procedures;
– Drafting of the first draft of the Tax and Commercial Justice Bill in Nicaragua (1996);
– Participation in the review of the Model Tax Code for Latin America in the Inter-American Center of Tax Administrators (CIAT), in Panama;
– Participation with the technical team of the Superior Council of Private Enterprise (COSEP) in the reform of the Tax Code of Nicaragua (2007);
– Participation with the technical team of the Superior Council of Private Enterprise (COSEP) in the reform of the Tax Code of Nicaragua (2009);
– Participation with the technical team of the COSEP and the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit of the Republic of Nicaragua in the drafting of the Law on Tax Coordination and its Regulations in 2012.
In the area of teaching, he has carried out the following academic activities
– Professor of Tax Law, Cost Accounting and Auditing at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Nicaragua (UNAN), 1976-1982
– Secretary of the Faculty of Economic Sciences of the UNAN (1982);
– Professor at the Polytechnic University (UPOLI), 2006, 2008 and 2013;
– Professor at the Catholic University Redemptoris Mater (UNICA), 2012 -2014)
– Tax Training Instructor at the General Revenue Directorate, 1995-1996;
– Instructor in seminars and speaker at international events on taxation.
Likewise, he has participated in different trade and social organizations, among which are
– He is a member of the Association of Public Accountants of Nicaragua;
– He was a member of the Association of Graduates of the Inter-American School of Public Administration (EIAP);
– He is a member of the Nicaraguan Institute of Financial and Tax Law.
He speaks and writes fluently Spanish, English and Portuguese.